106: NDA, IP, & Patent: Oofda! with Susan Markey of Maslon LawPublished March 1, 2022
Run time: 00:42:48
If terms like “NDA,” “IP,” and “Patent” have you uttering "Oofda", this episode is for you.
Okay, maybe you aren't Minnesotan, so your expression of confusion is more like "Huh" or "What", but legal jargon like this is prominent in the tech space, and knowing when (and if) you need protection can be confusing.
Tim Bornholdt chats with dynamic business attorney Susan Markey about when and where NDAs and patents play a role in protecting intellectual property.
In this episode, you will learn:
- How intellectual properties are a business’s most valuable aspects
- At what point NDAs should be brought up in a discussion
- Differences between concepts and actual IPs
- Why NDA’s aren’t the end-all, be-all for protecting an idea
- The most important definition in an NDA
- Where to go to get an NDA
- What a patent is and what it does and doesn’t cover
- Whether or not a computer can patent an AI invention
- Why software is deemed less patentable
- Future movements around international IP protection
- The impact of the America Invents Act
This episode is brought to you by The Jed Mahonis Group, where we make sense of mobile app development with our non-technical approach to building custom mobile software solutions. Learn more at https://jmg.mn.
Recorded January 20, 2021 | Edited by Jordan Daoust | Produced by Jenny Karkowski
Disclaimer: This content is NOT legal advice.
USPTO.gov Fundamentals for Entrepreneurs | https://www.uspto.gov/learning-and-resources/inventors-entrepreneurs-resources
University of Michigan College of Engineering Center for Entrepreneurship Video Series | https://cfe.umich.edu/entrepreneurial-basics-video-series-launched/
World Intellectual Property Organization | https://www.wipo.int/portal/en/index.html
Maslon LLP | https://www.maslon.com/
Connect with Susan Markey on LinkedIn | https://www.linkedin.com/in/susan-markey/
JMG Pricing Page | https://jmg.mn/pricing
Connect with Tim Bornholdt on LinkedIn | https://www.linkedin.com/in/timbornholdt/
Chat with The Jed Mahonis Group about your app | https://jmg.mn
Rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts | https://constantvariables.co/review